Posted in painting

Winter’s Colours

I emerged from the dungeon this evening just after 6. The fall lite had let go and that blue darkness was descending already. Each year I lament the loss of daylight hours but tonight I embraced that special winter colour.

The snow has come and gone here twice but we’ve been fortunate to escape what our neighbouring provinces have been hit with. So I didn’t use a real scene as my inspiration but rather the scene my instructor drew. As you can see no two turn out identical. We used the same three colours but have vastly different looking paintings. I think that’s why watercolour can be a challenge as it’s hard to replicate something exactly.

Now in a more experienced hand the results are softer. The shadow and tree branches more balanced and the bushes in the distance have more definition.

I forgot to take a picture of our instructor’s picture but suffice to say it was really good. We also discussed that we all seem to demand a lot from ourselves and that everyone else’s always looks better. We are, as always and in most of life, our own worst critic.

I for one, am going to use this card. I’m going to sign and date it and send it out into the world. I’m going to trust that it will be recieved with an open heart as a hand crafted original!

That’s a positive spin for sure!

Bernie

Posted in Projects

Buoyed By Success

Buoyed by the success of my recent challenge I pushed forward. I had a full length sun dress that had needed shortening for a while. It wasn’t hard; it just hadn’t happened. So now it has and it’s hanging up waiting for a nice warm day.

This meant that there was an excess of material to be utilized. Ah yes — upcycled. Into something tiny because there was like 12″ of length but at least it was already hemmed.

Enter in a creative challenge. What to make and how to do it. Following my instincts I pushed forward and cut out a peasant dress. Utilized the pre existing hems and zipped the seams through the serger. The little cap sleeves are adorable but now need arm hole binding but not enough material left for a facing

Ah more upcycling. I have all of my mother in law’s sewing supplies and every once in a while they come in handy. Check out the prices!

It worked remarkably well. Zipped the neck casing shut and then struggled to get the elastic through. It took almost more time to do that than sew the little dress! Now I can only hope it fits the little one it’s intended for. It’s 12 -18 month size and she’s 4 months old so hopefully it will but it might be more like a tunic than a dress.

Rather hard to get a good photo of either one but that’s the best attempt.

Now onward to the jersey challenges. I was chased inside tonight by dust storms and nasty wind so will take advantage of this stolen time away from yard work.

Bernie