Defies description

There are some places that seem to defy description and logic. I think we found one of them.

It started as a Continue reading

Something from Nothing 

There is a wonderful children’s book called Something from Nothing. It’s by one of my favourite Canadian authors of that genre, Phoebe Gilman. I was reminded of this book recently when I decided to create something from nothing. Once the Continue reading

NHS Twin Falls Tea House  

The beauty of the hike to the twin falls area was enough enticement to do the 20 km round trip hike. The icing on the cake was this amazing Continue reading

NHS — Bar U Ranch 

The big rolling foothills of Alberta is home to a ranch with deep roots. So deep that floods, fire, blizzards, politics and markets did not change its essence in over a century. Continue reading

Ta Dah!! 

This project, and subsequent reveal, have been approximately 6 years in the making. Perseverance and a plodding away will eventually win out but man has it been a long haul even for us. Although we are not yet at 100% in this project I just can’t wait to do a reveal any longer. Ron has done an amazing job of installing the tin ceiling tiles in our basement.

For my new blog followers I will set the background for you which will still serve as a refresher for the regular house blog followers seems it has been a while.

The general concept which was to have a suspended tin ceiling to cover the mechanical works in the basement. On a girls weekend (Sept 2009) on my way to Gull Lake, Alberta I stopped at a tiny little antique store in Erskine, Alberta and found 125 pieces of tin ceiling along with all the trim pieces. It had been salvaged from a hardware store in Calgary. Ron returned the following weekend and picked it up.

We stored it for a year or so and worked on how to get it cleaned up. Sandblasting and heat cleaning weren’t an option but it turned out that dry ice worked. This is the process that they use to clean graffiti and decay off of brick and stone buildings so not your run of the mill work. We found a small independent company who was willing to do the tiles as their work load permitted. It took us over two years to get them done and returned to us. Once we had the tiles home then we had to sort and organize them into styles. Ron did his amazing engineering magic and made up the plan for how to showcase the different styles and make the trim pieces work. Then I spent the better part of a winter priming them all.

Heat cleaned tile – as you can see it didn’t take off the multiple layers of old paint.

While the above was going on a building on campus was being demolished (spring 2009) so Ron, Spencer and I went in and salvaged T-Bar and L-Bracket from the ceilings. We moved that stuff around the basement so many times that it became quite annoying. Eventually we straightened it up, I cleaned it and then painted them. Ron, with some assistance from Spencer and I, then hung them up in the four main sections.

This is the little bar area. Ron says it was not a fun area to do but he didn’t use those words exactly!

or the past two winters, after Christmas, Ron has been in the basement making these tiles fit the space. The modern t-bar is 24″ and the tiles are all approximately 25″ so he had to bend each one. Fortunately our buddy,  Peter, is a tin basher in the winter and has the tools that we needed. It required a lot of patience, vision and hand strength. On the weekend Ron completed the task and cleaned up. He has also done all the electrical wiring, cut the appropriate holes and we have sourced all but one light for this area. We can’t go ahead and install them till the final coat of paint is done.

Doesn’t it look classy! Not the colour (which is quite yuck) but the shapes and textures.

This meant it was time for the painter to take over. There were a few trim pieces that hadn’t been painted as we weren’t sure what all would be used. So yesterday I pulled them down, painted them and then Ron put them back up last night.  Several years ago I found some Debbie Travis copper paint on sale at Canadian Tire and purchased it. Now I have to figure out how to “copperize” it. It became apparent to me yesterday that working on the whole project in place made the most sense. I will be booking a few massage appointments following this as I will have a sore neck when I am finished. It will not work to spray it so I think sponge type action will probably get the type of coverage that I am after. I will have to do a few test patches with the few remaining pieces that we have which is fun as I love to play with paint.

Cross your fingers that I have enough! It is now discontinued.

Up next in the basement — stay tuned! I don’t want to give away a spoiler alert. If you are new to this blog you can find the comment button at the bottom of the post. You can also hit the follow button for an automatic email when I publish an entry.


This equals 114 large tiles and 90 trim pieces.