I would appear to have dropped into a rabbit hole as far as blogging goes. It has been absolutely ages since I’ve done a post but there is a good reason.
There are times when you bite off more than you can chew (what a seriously weird saying) and you are left regurgitating it again and again like a cow. Ok, perhaps that isn’t going to reflect well on what I was doing and why. In fact I will probably rework this paragraph to find a different saying as I don’t feel that one sets the right tone.
I’ve spent a significant amount of time upstairs in my attic from April to mid July. I had committed to making a queen size quilt for a wedding gift for a special young woman in our life. It was a gift from 8 people so I really felt it was important to make sure it arrived on time.
Why you ask would I start it with only 3 months to design,procure, cut, sew, sew, sew, sandwich and quilt, cut, bind and final bind? Well I was tied up till late March with Team Broken Earth quilts and the trip. Once we got home I started into design research.
Making a quilt for yourself is relatively easy because you know what you like, the colour palette and the style you are looking for. In my house it means traditional patterns, hand quilted and primary type colours. Put all those concepts into someone else’s life and the design and colours will be entirely different.
So first I established that Karen and Tim are more modern than traditional (which I knew) and then we narrowed down a colour palette to work with. But still I wanted to make sure that my design research was on target for that demographic so enlisted our daughter and my young friend to ensure I was on target with design and material selection.
Then the part I struggle with the most. The math. Of course it would help if I ever picked something that had an actual pattern rather than just seeing something I like and modifying it. So having double checked the math and verified it all with a handy engineer I headed to the local stores. Plus I had to remember how to mass produce half square triangles so received a mini tutorial on that and had to do some practise runs with paper.
The it was time to mass produce the 16 fancy squares and cut out the big 56 squares. It’s a pretty massive quilt but not quite a king size. None the less I was happy to have a big floor to lay it out on and get design input from Ron. Then it was a matter of sewing all those little half square triangles together into the big fancy squares. During this time my iron finally died so I had to purchase a new one. I had set aside a couple of afternoons to sew and wouldnt’ you know it we had no power those afternoons. I sewed late into the evening many a night because I didn’t come inside until after 9pm. I did burn the midnight oil several times to ensure that I was going to have it completed on time.
Steady progress was made which was a good thing as the deadline was looming as was the date that I had booked to go into Periwinkle Quilting and use the long arm machine. I had some angst about a few joined seams that were not as perfect as I would have liked. I consulted with an awesome quilt friend who kept advising me to step back. Patti was most helpful when it came to the binding as well.
I reviewed the process for long arm quilting as it had been over a year since I had taken my initial class. I “borrowed” a baby quilt to go on the machine first to get my muscle memory working on the free motion movement. Then I had all sorts of time issues that day; batting not big enough at the store, a physio appointment that went longer than planned, the machine being booked in the afternoon when initially it hadn’t been. A second trip back to the city to finish it right after and a debt of gratitude to Nancy who stayed late and was so helpful.
It can take a smidgen of time to put the binding on and then stitch it down by hand but the plus side to a modern quilt is that I could actually put it on by machine and have it look acceptable. So despite running out of thread and having to finish it on the day we were leaving for the wedding the gift went along completed.
I hear that it hasn’t made its way upstairs to their bedroom yet because they keep wanting to show it too all their family and friends. That’s cool by me as I’m pretty happy that they are so appreciative of the effort required to create this quilt.
I have other projects that are pending upstairs but until the summer days are gone they won’t even be commenced. The outside is calling me so much so that I’m not going to rework that first paragraph. It stands just like the odd seam that doesn’t match as well as it should. Sometimes perfect isn’t as good as a gift from the heart.