A few years ago I discovered an old wagon hidden under a heap of wood and half buried in a slough of water. It became a favourite photographic location and netted a few stellar photos.
Fast forward to the completion of the restoration of our catalogue house and the commencement of landscaping. We want to keep our “yard” area fairly natural and low maintenance but it’s a pretty big space. We have a circular driveway that has a large garden area in it that we have faithfully been growing weeds in for 5 years. We have moved 3 enormous glacial rocks in and planted 2 trees but it’s still a substantial space.
Enter the crazy idea — let’s move that old wagon into that area says the engineer. The nurse says what? But as usual the engineer moves forward and does lots of reconnaissance and deep thinking.
Fall means low water levels and perhaps if the weather holds some free time from required projects. So today we gathered a few basic supplies and commenced the “move the wagon” project.
Stage 1 was to dig it out of the mud and jack it up. Rubber boots were required as was a shovel plus lots of blocking material.
Stage 2 required a good supply of gentle horse power and a few “skis” for the wheels — which no longer turn (imagine that after a few decades in the water). We were successful and it only took about 2 hours and lots of engineering ingenuity and some patience.
Stage 3 will require a different form of transportation — we can’t drag it from the current location to the desired spot without wheels. The hay field is densely Inhabited by moles and is brutal to drive let alone drag a wagon across.